Monday, July 18, 2011

Day One of Many

84 days actually; day one of 84...12 weeks, loooong weeks I suspect

For the next 12 weeks, starting today, I am deliberately working on the weight loss thing. The Homeschool Lounge has started a summer weight loss challenge so I thought I'd give it a go, even though we're in the middle of a cold wet winter.

I was going to start with everyone else on Friday but life was so hectic that I couldn't start as I wanted to, though some changes have begun... so today, Monday, is my day 1.

My starting point: I have lost 21.5kg since Charlotte was born, a total of 23.5 since I got pregnant. I ended pregnancy 2kg lighter than I began it and then all the rest has just dropped off. My understanding from what I've experienced is that I actually lost the whole lot while pregnant but all the fluid I was retaining was making up for it. So basically, while I was eating well during pregnancy I lost loads. My version of eating well is not what we have been fooled into thinking eating well, looks like though. My diet while pregnant was high in protein, animal fats like lard and butter, some coconut oil, plenty of raw milk, yummy cheese and of course a good supply of fruit & vegetables.
Since Charlotte was born - 11 weeks ago - bad habits have taken over and sugars have jumped back into my diet. Not not NOT good. They make me cranky, retain fluid AND prevent weightloss.


So... my food intake now includes home baking, smoked salmon, cream cheese, other cheeses (my mum regularly brings cheese back from her visits to King Island LOL), Coconut oil, yoghurt, eggs, lots of vegies, some fruit, plenty of meat and beans, soaked where I can.
In general I'm keeping carbs lower than the average Aussie, though not as low as the very low carb diets out there. Dinners will only have potato, rice, pasta a couple of times a week and the main focus of all meals will be the meat and low carb vegies. Carbs will be earlier in the day. Protein will be at all meals... things like eggs, sausages, smoked salmon, cheese etc. Coconut oil will be added in as a snack a couple of times a day.

My 12 week goal is to lose 15+kg and along with cutting out a lot of sugars and processed foods, I'm going to be exercising... daily? and blogging it, to help keep me focused :)

.

3 comments:

  1. That's amazing that you ended pregnancy lighter than you started. I want to do that! Of course I want to lose some before pregnancy as well. I'm so upset with myself about my current figure I'm mad enough to exercise.

    So do you bother counting calories/have portion control or is it a free for all as long as you eat certain foods?

    How much bread do you think you eat in a day or week?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to cut out more sugars, especially the processed stuff. I don't need to lose weight but I can tell a big difference in my energy level when I eat junk/artificial food vs healthy/real food!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is awesome weight loss~!!

    Doing similar. :o) Although I still slip in the odd bit of sugar. Can't seem to quite kick the carbs as much as I'd like either. Doing well, nearly at the end ( 4 weeks left ) and only put on 4.5kg's so far.

    ReplyDelete